Building nine was originally built in the 1930's as a radio communication & engineering building. Through successive renovation, the glazed brick internal hallways had been largely covered over, and partially demolished. This major refurbishment of the building was an opportunity to pare back the layers and take a fresh look at this aging structure.
wherever possible services were removed from the hallways, existing openings in the brick walls were infilled with simple glass panels, or new doors.
A polycarbonate clearstory with back lighting creates a sense of light and openness in counterpoint to the heavy brick.
Modern insertions into the space like this small meeting pod with mild steel frame typifies the new school of media and communications.
The 'industrial sky' ceiling was painted green one side, and white the other, creating a colour-shift which follows the viewer.
Spaces for photography and filming are built into the space, using flip top table and stackable chairs, they can also be effective teaching spaces.
The (then) new collaborative learning model allowed the teacher to access and project the work of any student plugged into the rooms IT system through the custom made fixed tables. The Barrisol ceiling and drum lights focus on these tables.
The learning environment was modelled and rendered.
As well as diagrammed and ultimately prototyped.
The basement floor was utilized for editing suites, a typically quiet environment not requiring natural light.
The ground floor contained equipment storage and lending centre, an on-air radio broadcast station, student offices and a small library.
First floor, Research and Teaching spaces
Upper floor Teaching spaces.